More intimate than the Maine et Loire, Anjou is the historical imprint of the department, the roots of 49.
Tourism in Anjou
If you only have to visit the must-see, choose Angers, Saumur, The Wine Route and the Loire River. They represent the variety of landscapes but also cultural showcases of Anjou.
- Angers, dynamic and cultural city that will welcome night owls, addict shopping, lovers of cultural visits, but also tourists to discover the Angevin heritage.
- Saumur, its cellars and its proximity to theme parks and animal parks (Terra Botanica, Doué La Fontaine Zoo). His Castle, the Black Frame
- The Wine Route: poetic itineraries and bucolic landscapes to discover Anjou’s wineries and vineyards: Aubance, Layon, Saumur Brut, Anjou’s rosés, Anjou Village, …
- The banks of the Loire: from Montjean sur Loire, embark on board the barge, Cape Verde, the Loire boat that will revive the history of the Loire.
Gastronomy in Anjou
Anjou, these are the wines of course, but that we can accompany gastronomic specialties and regional dishes, simmered from the pots of Anjou:
- The famous fouaces or fouées cooked in wood ovens in the hearth of tuffeau stone cellars, accompanied by rillettes, mogettes (vendéennes!), Mushrooms, bacon or goat cheese: yum is a delight! To test AB.SO.LU.MENT!
- Fried eels: fruits of your fishing on the banks of the Loire, they melt in the mouth grilled barbecue. Sublimate them with a parsley and potatoes. Simple and good at the same time!
- Chicken with angevin: a simple recipe that mixes all the flavors of Anjou: mushrooms, Saumur wine, …
- for dessert, finish with the plum pie: an ancient plum pie recipe that all Angevin gourmets know, certified by the Inventaire du Patrimoine.
Enjoy your meal !
The historic towns and villages of Anjou
Not far from Montjean sur Loire and Camping la Promenade, do not miss the visit of Saint Florent Le Vieil : a city of character full of history, which houses the tomb of General Bonchamps. A relaxing touristic itinerary, or nature mixes with Heritage to make you travel out of time.
The island of Behuard: not far from Montjean, this small village nestled in the hollow of an island between two arms of the Loire, is classified as World Heritage by Unesco. The rocky peak and Notre Dame de Béhuard church are among the must-see monuments of the island. To eat, stop at the Croisette, a charming restaurant built in front of the Loire.